Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Representing

Well I feel kind of lame for not posting in over a year. This was originally for a class, thus all of those specific topics. But, now my husband is taking that same class and reminded me of this blog. He didn't understand why I hadn't kept it up and I couldn't fully answer him. So here I am, trying to make up for lost time.

This time, I would like to go over something I learned from one of my teachers a few weeks ago on a religious sense. In the LDS religion, we have a specific prayer that we say over sacrament (communion). In the prayer, it tells us that we are to, "willing to take upon them the name of thy Son [Christ]..." My professor pointed out that the 3rd commandment is not to take the Lord's name in vain. When members of the LDS faith say this, they are usually referring to the term of "O my..." As my teacher studied the phrase "in vain" he found that it referred to the right or authority. When we take the name of Christ, we are representing Him and have the obligation to act as He would. Yet when we are doing those things that are contradictory to His teachings, we are taking Christ's name in vain.

1 comment:

  1. It's also good to remember that the name of Christ is capable of great good and great miracles, and when not using it for those things, it's also taking it in vain.

    ReplyDelete